September 16 2014, 4am
So… everyone remember when in ‘The Man Trap’ we caught Spock staring at Kirk’s ass when he thought no one was looking? Well, Kirk did it too.
In the pilot episode.
In front of another character.
Lookit that grin.
It’s adorable, really, watching them dance around each other like this, and seeing their different personalities come out based on how they’re dancing. Spock’s all shy and private and sneaky-like, and Kirk is just out there being his charming bastard self. Like: “Yeah, I’d tap that, and I don’t care who knows it.”
…I’m working on the analysis for this episode, can we tell?
…back to work…
Oh my God…
Sometimes I see things like this, and the entire course of their relationship just HITS me at once - from casual flirting to intense respect and affection, through angst and denial, separation and reunion, death and resurrection, emotional amnesia and recovery - as they evolve into partners and soulmates over the course of decades. Never and always touching and touched.
Because one of the few constant threads in the Star Trek tapestry is the relationship between these men, however you choose to label it. Three seasons of television, six movies, countless writers and directors, aging actors, and THIS stays the same. It stays the same enough that one can draw a coherent, realistic, and long-term timeline of development between them. All the ups and downs of commitment and attachment. Which many franchises can’t even manage on purpose.
So I see a screencap like this, a brief analysis like this, and think “here is where it all began.” Two characters whose chemistry would come to outshine the earnest, limited, often-silly medium from which they arose to an astonishing degree.
And then I just can’t even for awhile, because it’s like the cosmos is singing a beautiful song to me that I can’t quite grasp. Like one of the core themes of Trek - the fundamental importance of love and connection - has been distilled through the small, focused lens that is Kirk and Spock. Side by side, as if they’ve always been there and always will be.
….damn. This is what happens when I set my inner fangirl loose.
September 16 2014, 4am
"There’s a great deal of writing in the Star Trek movement now which compares the relationship between Alexander and Hephaistion to the relationship between Kirk and Spock—focusing on the closeness of the friendship, the feeling that they would die for one another…
…But say what we said earlier about what Leonard said—that Spock would not survive long if Kirk died. Well, look at Alexander. He survived Hephaistion by what—a big three months?" [x]
September 16 2014, 4am
dad and i watch star treck into darkness
- (during the movie)
- dad: i wonder if bones ever thinks about retiring early
- dad: oh look kirk's going to save his man
- dad: he said he believed in kirk, he's practically signed a death warrant
- dad: is spock jealous of british chick?
- dad: i think spock's jealous of british chick
- dad: fascinating
- dad: wow scotty actually sounds scottish
- dad: in the original series kirk would have body slammed him
- Dad: okay Uhura you keep being badass baby don't take any shit
- dad: Khan is....... slightly different from how i remember him
- (after the movie)
- dad: you know as far as romantic movies go, that was very enjoyable
- me: it's not a romance dad
- dad: it's not?
- me: no, dad, it's like an action sci-fi flick
- dad: so that whole kirk/spock thing, you're telling me that's completely platonic
- me: well
- dad: because at the end there i really thought kirk was gonna say "no, because i love you"
- me: i mean
- dad: i've watched the original series i know those two have something going on
- me: dad what i'm trying to say
- dad: the title of the movie should be "star treck: into gay"
- me: you're worse than i am
- dad: this was gayer than that sherlock holmes movie with RDJ
- dad: and i didn't think anything could get gayer than that
- me: okay dad
- dad: and we could sign Khan up for anger management
- dad: maybe then we'll find out the secret behind his sudden racial transformation
- me: you talk to mom about this okay i'm going to bed
September 15 2014, 6pm
IT’S SPIRK DAY!
And I have been on a mini rampage.
Hey everybody, been awhile! SO, I have internet connection again, and in order to celebrate that and Spirk Day (what timing) I’ve put together a few things. Three things. Of varying degrees of cool. Opinions vary as well, so you have to pick for yourself. :)
'To Those Not Present.'
'Closed Spaces' the podifc!
I’ve started experimenting with recording fics, and this is the first one available for other humans to listen to. (I’m mostly experimenting with how much listeners can put up with my voice, so by listening, you’re contributing to science!)
Stream or Download on Mediafire
'And Love Will Steer the Stars.'
For some of you, this might be the biggest announcement. Remember when I was on here all the damn time and kept posting those Kirk/Spock, episode by episode analysis samples? Well, as of today the LiveJournal where the full versions of those is, is going public, so if you were interested in those and want to read everything we had to say, now you can! So far only the introductions and first two episodes are up, but we will be posting more as things are edited and polished.
Read and enjoy the meta!
THIRD (point two):
Related to the meta going live, we also have a secondary tumblr just for the meta. Here is where all announcements pertaining to the meta will be made, as well as any polls, games, Q&A’s, things like that. If you want to follow a tumblr solely dedicated to the meta, then I guess we have something for ya!
A very meta tumblr
And that’s it! Happy Spirk Day everyone, I’m off to find tasty Space Husbands treats.
(also my page has been reorganized a bit for easier navigation. minor note.)
January 7 2014, 11am
We need this in Chicago
Chicago Warming Center Locations.
Baltimore and Chicago readers, be aware!
Not in either city? Reblog with your locations info, too.
- Baltimore: 410-433-5175 for Baltimore Area Homeless Shelters 24-Hour Hotline
- Boston: 617-534-2526 for Friends of Boston’s Homeless or dial 311
- Chicago: 311
- Detroit: 1-800-274-3583 and 1-800-343-4427 (starting on Monday at 6 a.m.)
- Kansas City, Mo.: 816-474-4599
- New York City: 311
- Milwaukee: 211
- Minneapolis: 211
- Philadelphia: 215-232-1984 for the Project HOME Homeless Outreach Hotline
- Portland: 211
- Richmond: 211
- San Francisco: 311
- Seattle: 211
- St. Louis: 314-802-5444 for the Housing Resource Center hotline (between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Mon-Friday)
- Thunder Bay, Ontario: 807-620-7678 for the SOS team (operates between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m.)
- Toronto: 311
- Washington, D.C.: 1-800-535-7252 for the Hypothermia Hotline
January 6 2014, 7pm
And just so everyone knows, until further notice thus blog and anything to do with And Love Will Steer the Stars will be even more restricted than before - possibly on a semi-permanent hiatus.
The reason for this is this lovely new house in the middle of nowhere, which we were told could get DSL, in fact cannot. Which means I’m down to what I can do on my phone - like this post - and eventually dial up.
I’m sure many of you can imagine the amount of cursing that is accompanying this discovery. I’m looking into workarounds to get stuff uploaded and such, but yeah. Until further notice I’m more or less absent from the internet.
December 31 2013, 8am
Tis the new year in a handful of hours where I am, and while I would love to make this huge post about all that’s happened, all that I’ve managed to squeeze in and how much I’ve changed in twelve months - and how much of a role tumblr and the internet in general have helped or hindered that - there’s way too much to go through. AND, today there’s another big change that will be taking up my time.
I’m moving! By the time the new year officially starts, I should be in a new house to start it off. :D
So stay safe, everybody. I’ll sees you in the new year.
December 25 2013, 6am
Hellfire by Sweet Poffin || Times played:780,963
#oh no #nope #nein #this was completely and utterly unnecessary #why is this #I mean #now of course I want all the rule 63ed Frollo #gaunt sharp-edged implacable Mistress of Justice #she wanted to be a martyr but Rome fell long ago—she wanted to be a mystic bride of christ but the visions never came #so instead she is this—Sophia and Justita; blind and never-stinting #her flesh mortified and her will righteous #but then #Esmerelda #dancing on the rue de la cite #the love is still terrible and twisted; the shame is still burning under Frollo’s skin however she tries to fisplace it #…but god do I want that story